A suspect is in custody and officials say the area is now safe.
A shooter on Wednesday shot seven police officers in a residential neighborhood in Florence County, South Carolina, killing at least one officer, according to local officials.
“This area is safe. The suspect is in custody,” Florence County Sheriff Kenney Boone told reporters at a press conference Wednesday night.
Three Florence County sheriff’s deputies and three other Florence police officers who were shot were all receiving medical attention, according to Florence Police Chief Allen Heidler. Authorities said the officer who died was from the police department.
President Donald Trump has offered his “thoughts and prayers” to the Florence County Sheriff’s Office and the Florence Police Department:
My thoughts and prayers are with the Florence County Sheriff’s Office and the Florence Police Department tonight, in South Carolina. We are forever grateful for what our Law Enforcement Officers do 24/7/365. https://t.co/ZwDmDthItD
— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) October 4, 2018
The story is still developing. Here’s what we know, and don’t, so far.
What we know
- Shortly before 5 pm local time, Florence County Emergency Management tweeted about “an active shooter incident in progress at this time,” telling the public to stay away from Vintage Place, a residential area, in Florence. The shooting ended by around 6 pm, although Florence County Emergency Management continued to advise the public to stay away from the area where the shooting occurred.
- Three Florence County sheriff’s deputies and four Florence police officers were shot.
- At least one of the officers died, Florence County Coroner Keith von Lutcken told CNN affiliate WBTW. The officer was with the city of Florence, CNN reported. The rest are receiving medical attention.
- A suspect is in custody after reportedly surrendering to police, according to Florence County Chief Deputy Glenn Kirby.
- The officers were serving a search warrant on the suspect outside of a home in the Vintage Place subdivision. “His view of fire was several hundred yards, so he had an advantage,” Sheriff Boone told reporters. When deputies arrived, Boone said, the “gunfire started.” The shooting began at around 4 pm.
- Special agents from the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms, and Explosives (ATF) are on the scene to help with the investigation.
- There have been at least 274 other mass shootings in the US in 2018, according to the Gun Violence Archive. The organization defines mass shootings as events in which four or more people, excluding the shooter, were shot but not necessarily killed in a similar time and place.
- Florence County has a population of more than 138,000 people, according to the US Census Bureau.
What we don’t know
- The shooter’s identity
- The shooter’s motive
- All the officers’ conditions
- The final casualty count
- All the victims’ identities
Author: German Lopez