A gunman opened fire at the Tree of Life synagogue in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania on Saturday.
Multiple people have been killed in a shooting at a synagogue in Pittsburgh on Saturday.
According to local CBS affiliate KDKA, Pittsburgh police responded to an active shooting situation at the Tree of Life synagogue in Squirrel Hill in Pittsburgh on Saturday while a service was underway. The gunman reportedly shot at officers when they arrived after several people barricaded inside of the building called the authorities.
KDKA reports that seven to eight people could be dead, and police said that three officers were shot.
What we know
- A gunman opened fire at a synagogue in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania on Saturday, according to local outlet KDKA. CBS News reports that at least seven people have been confirmed dead, and Pittsburg police said there were “multiple casualties.”
- Police said that the shooter was in custody.
BREAKING: Pittsburgh police: Multiple casualties at Tree of Life synagogue in Squirrel Hill pic.twitter.com/V4nnONkkSl
— NBC News (@NBCNews) October 27, 2018
- Initially, several people were rescued, but others were not. Nearby Carnegie Mellon University was also put on lockdown.
- Police responded to the incident, and the gunman fired at them as they approached. Three officers were shot, police said after the suspect was detained.
- Pennsylvania Gov. Tom Wolf tweeted that the situation is “serious” and encouraged citizens to stay away from the area.
We are still learning details about the shooting at the Tree of Life Synagogue in Pittsburgh but it is a serious situation. @PAStatePolice are assisting local first responders. Please stay away from the area and keep the congregants and law enforcement in your prayers.
— Governor Tom Wolf (@GovernorTomWolf) October 27, 2018
- President Donald Trump tweeted that he was watching the events unfolding and encouraged those nearby to beware of an active shooter and remain sheltered.
Watching the events unfolding in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. Law enforcement on the scene. People in Squirrel Hill area should remain sheltered. Looks like multiple fatalities. Beware of active shooter. God Bless All!
— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) October 27, 2018
What we don’t know
- The gunman’s identity or motives.
- How many people were injured or killed.
Author: Emily Stewart