Share
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Loading...

At least two people were killed at UNC Charlotte, and the shooter is in custody.

At least two people were killed and at least four were injured in a shooting at the University of North Carolina at Charlotte on Tuesday, police officials said at a news conference.

The suspect — a male 22-year-old student — is in custody with charges pending, police confirmed.

The university’s Office of Emergency Management issued an alert at 5:50 pm local time telling students and staff to secure themselves. At 7:39 pm, the local police department tweeted that the scene was secure and the lone suspect was in custody. But the school remained on lockdown for hours while police cleared buildings, and exams were canceled through Sunday.

The story is still developing. Here’s what we know, and don’t, so far.

What we know

  • At 5:50 pm local time on Tuesday, UNC Charlotte’s Office of Emergency Management tweeted that shots were reported near the school’s Kennedy building. Law enforcement secured the scene by 7:39 pm local time, the Charlotte-Mecklenburg Police Department tweeted.
  • At least two people were killed and at least four more injured, UNC Charlotte Police Chief Jeff Baker said at a press conference. Three of the four have life-threatening injuries, Baker added.
  • Police took the alleged shooter into custody. Officials identified him as 22-year-old student Trystan Andrew Terrell, according to the Associated Press.
  • A student posted video of people on campus evacuating the area.

What we don’t know

  • The identities of the victims
  • The motivation for the shooting

Author: Jennifer Williams

Read More