Two people were reportedly killed, and one injured; that number is said to include the shooter.
A shooting at the West Freeway Church of Christ in White Settlement, Texas, has resulted in two deaths and at least one injury, according to the Dallas Morning News.
Police received a call before 10 am local time about people with gunshot wounds at the church, which is located in a suburb of Fort Worth.
Macara Trusty, a spokeswoman for the healthcare organization MedStar, said one person died at the scene of the shooting, another died on the way to the hospital, and a third person is in critical condition. One of the three is believed to be the suspected shooter, Forth Worth fire department officials said.
“Our hearts and prayers go out to all the families that were affected by this incident,” Fort Worth Fire Department spokesman Mike Drivdahl said.
This is a developing story. Here’s what we know, and don’t, so far.
What we know
- According to WFAA, a live stream of the worship service showed that as communion was finishing a person pulled a large firearm out of their coat and fired it twice before another person appeared to shoot back at them. That video has now been removed.
- The video reportedly showed that some people ducked under church pews and others rushed toward the shooter, brandishing handguns.
- Someone who appears to be a leader in the church can reportedly be heard saying, “Everything is under control. Our security team did everything they needed to do.”
- Two people are believed to have been killed; officials said at least one person is critically wounded. A spokesperson for the healthcare organization MedStar said two additional people were treated for their wounds at the site of the shooting.
- Texas Attorney General Ken Paxton tweeted that he was “shocked and saddened” by the incident and called for people to “pray for any victims and their families, this congregation, and the law enforcement officials at the scene.”
- Texas Gov. Greg Abbott praised the response of parishioners, saying, “Places of worship are meant to be sacred, and I am grateful for the church members who acted quickly to take down the shooter and help prevent further loss of life.”
What we don’t know
- The identity and the motives of the suspect.
- The names of the victims.
Author: Zeeshan Aleem